Monday, November 29, 2010

¿Más salsa? ¡Sí, por favor!

I am a salsa fanatic. It's on my top 10 list of things I refuse to buy from a jar. And it's so incredibly simple to make.

My tomato salsa includes canned organic fire-roasted tomatoes; red, yellow or white onions (and/or scallions); fresh cilantro; garlic; lime juice; salt; cumin and secret spices.

In the summer I prefer to use fresh tomatoes and other garden-fresh ingredients which give the salsa a different texture, taste and brightness.

In an effort to use local ingredients, I have made salsa with store-bought mango and organic cucumber, radishes, and cilantro from our CSA.

mango salsa
As much as I love salsa, I am just as fanatical about guacamole. The combination of smashed avocado, onions, garlic, lime juice, cumin and cayenne to me, is the perfect balance of creamy and spicy. I sometimes add black beans to my guacamole — a trick a I borrowed from one of my favorite local foodies.

¡La noche mexicana es muy delicioso!
In this house, we never get enough Mexican food. We make quesadillas with low-fat cheddar cheese. We simmer pork or beef for hours, then shred and saute it with spices. We make black bean chili or spicy chicken tortilla soup and serve it with warmed tortillas or a handful of tortilla chips, guacamole, salsa, and fat-free Greek yogurt. We entertain with build-your-own burritos. And of course we make plenty of sangria and margaritas.

No comments:

Post a Comment