Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Black Forest birthday cake

Any excuse to bake a cake is enough of an excuse for me. My husband's birthday is always something extra special. Since he is an October baby, a true beer snob, and a lover of all things German, we host an annual Oktoberfest in his honor.

And what Oktoberfest would be complete without Black Forest cake?

I find there is something extraordinary about making a cake that is at least three layers. This one featured layers of chocolate cake brushed with Kirsch, which is a cherry liquor.


Each layer was covered with whipped cream frosting and topped with mascerated black cherries.


I liked leaving the sides of the cake unfrosted, exposting the rich whipped cream frosting, layers of chocolate and just a few cherries.



The Black Forest cake was a hit this past year - I can hardly wait to bake another for next year's Oktoberfest. Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment