Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Corn Chowder – By Request

 
I have a confession: Chowders kind of overwhelm me. Sure, they can be delicious, comforting and hearty. But that’s just it. They’re usually too filling, heavy and high in fat.
Not this chowder. Two servings included only 1 cup of low-fat milk and just enough oil to sauté some vegetables. We never missed the taste of heavy cream or butter. Here's how I did it.*
Warm about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a soup pot then sauté a chopped onion until translucent, stirring frequently. Add one stalk of diced celery and about a cup of diced potatoes (I used a combination of yellow and red fingerlings, which is what I had on hand). Season with thyme, salt and pepper and sauté until potatoes and celery are slightly softened, stirring frequently.
Add 2 cups of corn (I used frozen, fire-roasted) a bay leaf and 1.5 cups of stock (I used chicken, but you could use vegetable stock). Cover the soup pot and simmer gently until potatoes and celery are soft (15 to 20 minutes).
Remove the bay leaf and carefully ladle about 1 cup of the soup into a blender. Add 1 cup of low-fat milk and puree until smooth. Add the pureed mixture back into the soup pot and heat through, stirring to combine. Adjust seasonings as necessary.
I served the chowder topped with chopped dill, chives and crumbled bacon.
*Recipe adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special.
 
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment