Friday, July 18, 2014

Smoked Salmon Pizza

Anything you can do, I can do better (or at least similar). I often think this when I find myself repeatedly ordering a favorite item from a restaurant.

In this case, it was a smoked salmon and crème fraiche flatbread we'd discovered on a local happy hour menu. At the restaurant, the flatbread topped with dill and tarragon. I created my own version, adding fresh chives and lemon zest.

First the ingredients: pizza dough (I used homemade with some whole wheat and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed, which provided a nutty, crunchy flavor), smoked salmon, crème fraiche, lemon, dill, chives, arugula, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.




 

Before baking or grilling the dough, drizzle the top with a liberal amount of extra virgin olive oil to ensure the crust won't burn.

I also like to sprinkle a little cornmeal on the pizza pan to add a crunchy texture to the bottom.

The baking time will vary depending on whether you are using an oven or grill.

While the pizza is baking, toss the arugula with lemon juice, lemon zest, minced dill and chives, and a little extra virgin olive oil.


Once the dough is baked, the rest is simple. Drizzle some crème fraiche onto the warm dough then arrange the salmon slices in a single layer. Top the salmon with lemon zest, minced dill and chives, and another drizzle of crème fraiche then pile the arugula on top.




1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous dish! A healthy, fresh, and delicious redo of a restaurant. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete