Monday, October 3, 2011

A savory, healthy, fast dinner? It's possible

Summer has metamorphosized into Fall. School is back in session. And while the chill in the air has me craving cozy comfort food, on weeknights, I find I have little time for cooking.

During the last cold spell I threw together a simple, healthy, hearty, nourishing soup in less than 20 minutes. Here's how.

I started with chicken stock and added a touch of soy sauce, some fresh ginger, a little rice vine vinegar and some sesame oil. I simmered chopped veggies we had on hand—shallots, carrots, green beans from our garden, and some frozen broccoli. (I always have frozen organic veggies on hand for soups, quesadillas, etc.) Then I added some Trader Joe's chicken dumplings. A little corn starch thickened the stock and a whole beaten egg, added slowly in a thin stream, added depth, flavor and protein.

We served the steaming bowls with srichacha sauce, freshly ground Szechuan peppercorns and diced scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment